A Little Ray of Sunshine

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

It's a verb!

So, clearly, there are ages where different things appeal to kids. Evidently Beau, at five, is at the age where definitions and classifications appeal. We spent an hour naming every verb we could think of while doing ironing.
Why do we traditionally wait to teach this stuff until the child is older and finds it boring? He thought it was great! "To run! To jump! To whine! To climb! To iron! To sleep! To Eat! To play!"
Now granted, I got bored after the first ten minutes, but it's not like I had anything better to do while ironing.
He also likes numbers. Addition, counting, counting-by. We haven't tried subtraction yet, but we'll get to it soon.
And spelling. Oh, good grief. I have always hated spelling. Beau loves it. He loves the rules, how to put the letters together. He's constantly trying to invent new words that follow the rules.
Come to think of it, I hated grammer, hated math. Why does my son love all the subjects I hate? The stuff I loved, like reading and writing, he's indifferent to or hates. He'd much rather be read to than read for himself. He hates writing.
I suppose it's part-age and part-personality. Maybe it's just because you can do math and spelling and listen to Momma read while you bounce around the room like a spring, but to read or write you have to sit still. This boy would rather do almost anything than sit still. He only sits still for the computer, and even that not for long. No, he will not watch tv. That's how much he moves. But he's really good at mental addition while he bounces around, so I can't complain. I mean, I'm not that good at mental addition.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home