A Little Ray of Sunshine

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Unsettled

I am impatient. I am well known for my impatience. I don't like to wait around to find out what's happening. I want to know NOW.
Naturally, God's working on that, and naturally, I'm impatient about it.
Discontent has been around here. My husband is not happy with what he's doing right now, and that of course reflects back into the rest of the family. There's a saying: When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. The same is true of Daddy, at least around this home.
Daddy isn't sure what he wants to do, as far as career goes. He's having some trouble adjusting to the American idea that you should actually like the work you do, or at least not hate it. Did I mention I'm impatient? If he wanted to go to med school for the next fifteen years, that'd be fine. But. I. Want. To. Know. NOW!!!
Of course I don't get my own way. No more than my soon-to-be-three-year-old gets his own way when he wants candy for dinner. There's only so much I can do to help my husband, and more would be interfering. Actually, I probably crossed the line into interfering a while back, but he's sweet, so he doesn't say so.
So finally I get around to asking God, Hey, why is this happening? And I open up my Bible. It's a well-used KJV, about 4"x6"x1". I'm the second owner of this particular Bible, it was given to me on the occasion of becoming Honored Queen in Job's Daughters by a dear friend who was given it on the same occasion in her youth. She hadn't used it much. I have. I've worn the gold off the edges of the paper until there's just a hint of shimmer left. In the 9 years I've had it.
It opens to Pslam 42.
And there's my answer. Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.
In other words: Wait, you'll have reason to praise God later. I hate waiting.
The next day, I woke up with a feeling that I had to be ready for something to happen. It hasn't happened yet. When? Only God knows. Wait.
My Uncle J. and Aunt J. have just flown into Austin to visit their son, T., and his wife, K. They, with T. and K., will hopefully be able to protect my grandparents' home from Hurricane Rita. My grandparents live on a manmade lake, and their house is built on a filled in arroyo. They don't have flood insurance because Grandmother thinks it is too expensive. They've flooded before.
Prayers would be much appreciated. Uncle J. and Aunt J. are the family gun nuts, so I'm sure they'll be safe in that sense.

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home