A Little Ray of Sunshine

Saturday, April 15, 2006

This 'n that

The weather is being typical, rain over our house, blue sky and sunshine on the mountains to the south.
Dad was supposed to be released from the hospital three hours ago, but no one is at my folks house yet. I hope the hospital is just being its usual slow, paperwork impaired, nightmerish bureaucractic mess.
Tomorrow we have a pancake breakfast at church, if we're feeling well enough to go. After a couple days of this cold, I think it should have let up enough for us to attend. (I'd rather eat someone else's cooking, and if you saw the state of our kitchen, you would, too!)
When I talked to Dad this morning, he didn't know if he would need an oxygen tank to take home with him. (He has an oxygen compressor at home all ready, but at sixty pounds and requiring a power outlet, it's not quite portable.) If he needs to stay on oxygen, and they prescribe him a tank, then we'll probably eat out for Easter Dinner. If he needs to stay on oxygen, and they don't prescribe a tank (a possibility since he does have the at-home machine and they might not want him out and about), then we'll probably skip it this year. Mom is not up to cooking, neither am I. My husband is an excellent cook, but Dad is not supposed to eat carbohydrates except in very limited amounts (about the equivalent of a half a small baked potato per day) and my husband's staple cooking ingrediant is rice. (If we could get it, it would probably be fermented ground casava, but that's unavailable here.) My husband comes from a one-pot cooking tradition.
It's been a really long week. I did make-up lessons with two of my students on Thursday and Friday, plus Wednesday's regular lessons and today's. Oh, and yesterday was a midwife's visit. Baby's heart is audible now with the little tool they have to amplify it. Baby sounds fine. I met the other midwife, she seems a little older than the first, both seem very nice. Said she hoped I didn't have a bigger baby this time than last time. I just sort of shrugged: big babies run in both families. There's not much I can do about it.
We were offered a crib today by one of my students. "Thanks, but we've already got one." We won't use it until the baby's at least six months old anyway. We've had good results with the first two having them sleep in the car-seat carrier next to our bed. I can reach them to nurse easily at night, and since staying awake during a night-time nursing is beyond me, in bed's the safest place to do it. I'll wake up when the baby's done and put it back in the carrier, all safe and snug. The boys have both felt secure on their backs on the carrier because it's so close around them so they didn't startle and wake themselves up.


  • At 9:08 AM, April 17, 2006, Blogger BoysMom said…

    Dad did in fact get home Saturday. His memory is really shot. But he's moving around some, has the portable oxygen. He came down to the church's pancake breakfast yesterday morning, but by the time we got out there for dinner (take-out Chinese) he thought it was Thanksgiving.
    So . . . good that he's home, not so good that he can't remember what's going on.

  • At 9:16 AM, April 17, 2006, Blogger CrazyJo said…

    That's got to be so rough, seeing your dad that way. I'll be praying for you guys.
    My son was a horrible back-sleeper due to his startle-reflex. I finally just gave up and let him stomache-sleep. Since he's breast fed and we opted out of doing vaccines he didn't have that great a chance of SIDS anyway. And we both slept a LOT better! :)


Post a Comment

<< Home